The 2019 Women’s European Championship gets underway in Rotterdam, the Netherlands on Sunday 30 June 2019. The championship, hosted by Basketball Experience NL and Basketball Nederlands, acts as the zonal qualification championship for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
The preliminary stage of the competition will see all teams will play each other once in a round robin format, with the top four placed teams progressing through to the semi-finals on Saturday 6th July. The medal and placing games will then take place on the final day, Sunday 7th July.
Not only will the top four placed teams of the preliminary stage secure a semi-final place, but they will also guarantee themselves a ticket to the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
Hosts the Netherlands come into the competition as favourites after winning gold at the 2018 World Championships in Hamburg last year. There will be strong competition from Great Britain, who impressed in Hamburg taking home a historic silver medal, and Germany, who have a strong track record at European Championships never finishing outside the top three. Spain, France and Turkey have all been progressing and will all be looking to cause an upset.
To follow the 2019 Women’s European Championship
- Tickets are still available and can be purchased here.
- All games will be live streamed via the Basketball Experience Netherlands You Tube Channel.
- Schedule, results and live statistics can be found here.
- Event websites – http://www.competitions.iwbf-europe.org/index.php/ecwa-home-menu or http://basketballexperience.nl/ek2019/
- In addition to the website, the European Championship can also be followed via social media:
Photo credit: SA Images