Due to the reduced number of teams for the wheelchair basketball competition at the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games the qualification process was adapted accordingly to try and ensure the highest level of competition.
The qualification model is determined to meet the needs of the IWBF and the IPC guidance whilst providing universality in the pathway to Paris 2024 with the highest level of competition. With only eight teams the importance and status of the qualification process for the Paralympic Games are more important than ever.
There will be only one repechage competition for men and one for women for the qualification of teams to the Summer Paralympic Games in the Spring of 2024.
The qualification process for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games
The process for qualification is as follows (The model below applies to both male and female competition) :
- The top four (4) nations at the World Championships will earn a place for their Zone at the Paralympic Games. This place will be awarded in accordance with IWBF’s regulations and this is usually through the Zonal Championships.
- The remaining four places will be earnt at the Repechage Competition.
The Repechage will take place after the Zonal Championships have taken place.
Each zone, not represented in the top four finishing teams will be awarded one place at the repechage event. (This might be zero (0) teams if each zone takes a place from 1-4 or it might be three (3) if one Zone finishes in all top four places). This provides universality.
- The Host of the Paralympic Games will be provided a place should they have not already qualified through their Zonal Championships.
- The Host of the Repechage will be provided with a place should they have not already qualified through their Zonal Championships.
- The remaining places at the Repechage will be awarded to Zones based on their teams placings at the World Championships starting from place five (5) and below. These places will be awarded in accordance with our regulations and this is usually through the Zonal Championships.
*Please note that the total number of places in the last point will be unknown until the end of the Quarter Finals at the World Championships and a host for the Repechage is determined as these factors both have an impact on the number of places available. The remaining places will be awarded to Zones from ranking five at the World Championships and below.
Click here for the full Regulations regarding the Qualification Process for Paris 2024 Paralympic Games.