As part of the preparation for the 9th ASEAN Para Games to be held in Kuala Lumpur later this year, the Malaysian Wheelchair Basketball Federation in conjunction with the Paralympic Council of Malaysia and IWBF AOZ held an introductory clinic for both referees and classifiers to wheelchair basketball.
The aim of the referee clinic was to introduce current running basketball officials to the wheelchair game. The clinic was led by AOZ Technical Officer and IWBF International Instructor, Matt Wells (Australia).
The thirteen participants spent some time in the classroom looking at:
- minor rule differences that exist between IWBF and FIBA
- a brief understanding of classification
- contact principles of wheelchair basketball
- three-person mechanics
They also had the opportunity to get into a wheelchair and learn some of the skills involved in manoeuvring a wheelchair while controlling the ball and attempting to avoid other players.
The clinic was held in conjunction with the First Series of the Malaysian Wheelchair Basketball League which provided an opportunity for all participants to officiate some games and put their learnings into practise.
Referee Clinic Participants
- Ho Then Sun (Malaysia)
- Aung This Toe (Myanmar)
- Wang Wai Foong (Malaysia)
- Lee Han Yeo (Malaysia)
- I Wayan Suardina (Indonesia)
- Chong Teck Loi (Malaysia)
- Tan Chin Song (Malaysia)
- Muhammad Fahran Othman (Singapore)
- Masae Sakai (Japan/Malaysia)
- Alex Chua Chi Ling (Malaysia)
- Foo Su Yan (Malaysia)
- Lee Mein King (Malaysia)
- Neoh Yuen Ying (Malaysia)
Special thanks must go to Dr Ang Kean Koo, Vice President SEA IWBF AOZ and Yap Poh Boon (Malaysia) for their organisation in bringing this event together.