The IWBF Africa Executive Council has announced its leadership for the next four years. Following a well-contested election at the 2023 IWBF Africa Congress held at the 2023 African Para Games, the IWBF Africa Council proudly presents the individuals who will steer the sport’s growth and development in the continent.
The newly ratified elected members are as follows:
- President: Mr. Charles Saunders (South Africa)
- Vice President: Mr. Hamza Cherih (Algeria)
- Treasurer: Mr. Alfred Simiyu (Kenya)
- Competitions Chairperson: Mr. Sibongile Fondini (South Africa)
- Classification Chairperson: Ms. Leandre Swanepoel (South Africa)
- Technical Chairperson: Mr. Mahmoud Hassan (Egypt)
- Coaching Chairperson: Mr. El Hadaoui Abdelhak (Morocco)
- Player Commission Chairperson: Mr. Al Hassan Sedky (Egypt)
- Northern Region Chairperson: Ms. May Zein ElDein (Egypt)
- Western Region Chairperson: Mr. Oluwaseyi Johnson (Nigeria)
- Eastern Region Chairperson: Mr. Sulaiman Mayanja (Uganda)
- Central Region Chairperson: Mr. Gege Kizubanata (Democratic Republic of Congo)
- Southern Region Chairperson: Mr. Kay Kamatuwa Peter Chirwa (Zambia)
These elected members represent a diverse range of African nations and bring with them a wealth of experience and expertise in the sport of wheelchair basketball.
In addition to announcing the elected leadership, the Executive Council has re-appointed Mr. Gerhard Smith as the IWBF Africa Secretary-General, ensuring continuity in the administration of the sport’s affairs.
The newly elected Executive Council also expressed its heartfelt congratulations to all the NOWBs who participated in the 2023 African Para Games, commending their professionalism and dedication to the sport.