The International Wheelchair Basketball Federation (IWBF) is the governing body for wheelchair basketball around the world.
IWBF is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide opportunities for persons with a lower limb disability to play the game of wheelchair basketball. IWBF has the following mandate:
- Establish the Official Wheelchair Basketball Rules; the Official Wheelchair Basketball Player Classification Handbook, the specifications for equipment and facilities; the Internal Regulations that govern the conduct of the Federation and ensure that they are enforced on all occasions.
- Establish the standards for the training and certification of referees, classifiers, commissioners and examiners; control and govern the licensing of international referees, classifiers and commissioners and maximize the use of experienced players in the training and certification of each of the above categories of officials.
- Control and maintain the classification of players and issuance of Player Identity Cards and Player Classification Cards.
- Regulate the transfer of players from one country to another.
- Raise funds, collect fees and accept contributions and subsidies and ensure that all resources are used solely to further the aims and objectives of IWBF and in accordance with the principle that IWBF is a non-profit organization.
- Implement an organized marketing programme that involves communication, public relations and demonstration events to instil awareness to the general public of the benefits of wheelchair basketball.